Friday, May 05, 2006

Weeds and Water

**This was from April 24. I found it today in my draft files.**


This past Friday I spent a good amount of time weeding the back yard of our new house. It was obvious that the previous owners cared very little for the yard. Weeds of every size were taking over the yard. At first glance a few weeks ago, the yard looked impossible to clean up. There was a sticker bush that had grown about 3 feet tall, maybe taller. My mother-in-law brought over a wonderful tool that really helped speed up the process of getting rid of the weeds. So, with the help of that tool and a good rain from the night before, I set about my task of getting the weeds up so that Marty could mow over the weekend.


As I began working, I said some prayers of thankfulness for this house & for our family. I remembered a scripture that I had heard earlier that week about grass growing & its flowers withering... it started an hour-long thinking and praying process about how each of us has a yard or garden in our life. In our yard, it seemed that the weeds were neverending. How much can our own lives reflect that kind of neglect & helplessness?

Weeds steal water, light, and nutrients from the soil, nourishing themselves and leaving the grass to die. In the parable of the sower, Jesus uses some strong language to describe the power of weeds. “The thorns grew up and choked it.” (Mark 4:7, 18-19 NRSV) (talking about a seed) If weeds are given freedom to grow, they will likely destroy the good plants and spread more seed.

Even more dangerous than the weeds in the yard are the intruders which we allow, sometimes invite, into our everyday lives and into our world. How often have I felt choked by the things in my life? Have I been teaching my children how to tend a garden? Not lately. I'd better get pulling.

Some weeds are easy to pull. They pop right up when you apply just a little pressure. Some weeds have been taking root for ages & need much more force to get them out. In hard, dry soil, I found the large weeds would break off, leaving some of the root in the soil. The rain on Thursday night provided a boost to get the roots out on Friday. So, I thought about water... the Water of Life. Water carries nutrients to the plants, just as God's Word waters our spiritual garden. Plants need a constant supply and so do we. If we are in constant connection with God through His Word, we are much more likely to recognize and remove weeds when they are small.

Now these were not all new thoughts to me, but they have come together at this point in my life for a reason. I was learning for myself that I need to devote more time to watering my spiritual garden. I have some weeds that are going to need a lot of water before the roots will loosen up. I'd better get reading.


Isaiah 44:3
For I will pour out water on the thirsty land
And streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring
And My blessing on your descendants

5 comments:

Linda's Place said...

You are sooooo silly. You posted this on an earlier date.

I love you Jode--you haven't changed since you got older I like that!!

You always make me laugh.

Linda's Place said...

Okay, I posted way too fast that last comment. I know that I read that post. What is going on. Did anyone else see that post??? I know that I am not losing it but....when I went back to see if it was there it wasn't. I know I read it. Because I was thinking when I read it that you would make a good devotional writer or that you should just write a book!
Whatever I konw what I saw!

Jody said...

I thought I HAD posted it, too. But when I looked yesterday it was still in the draft mode. hmmmm... strange.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post, Jody. Thanks to God for putting me in the path of your blog. I must go...I've a jungle to tend to...

Anonymous said...

i haven't seen it before and certainly glad i saw it today!! WOW! how profound; you are amazing!