Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Call to Modesty

I was talking to my friend, Kim, this afternoon and we were talking about how clothes for little girls are so immodest these days. As a mother of 4 little girls, I can see that this is going to be a big issue in our household as long as my girls have access to the outside world.

I found a mom on a blog who gives a "YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED" AWARD to some retailers for their poor choices in marketing to young girls. I also saw on one of our local news stations (can't remember which one) that a mom protested to a retailer about the t-shirts that sport sexy sayings on them for her size-5 little girl. Moms everywhere are standing up for their precious little girls. I will, too. My mom taught modesty to me. I can pass it on. I'll teach it to my own girls, too.

It's not too late to teach our children modesty. One little girl at a time can change something if we raise enough of them up now.

3 comments:

Kimberley said...

You go girl! Try fitting a "little" girl of 6 1/2 who is nearly 5 feet tall in something modest. It is nearly impossible and a complete outrage! Thanks for making a stand and encouraging us to as well.
Love ya!

Rachel Richard said...

I agree! My daughter is only 5 1/2 mos. but it's never too late for parents to start thinking about how they want to approach it. Modesty was a big deal in my family growing up and I'd like to teach that to my kids too. Thanks for the links!

Anonymous said...

I agree. With my 4 girls, I tell them that they can not wear anything now that they could not wear as a teenager, no matter how cute it may look on my little ones.
Needless to say, it has been a great struggle to find things half way decent for my big girls.