When my Grandmother Nicholes, Nana, passed away in Oct 2003, no one had to write her obituary. She had done that herself many years before. While some facts had changed, the most important things remained true. She said that she wanted to be remembered for her hugs. She had a beautiful way of making everyone she saw feel important just by hugging them. No one came into her house without getting a hug. She may have even hugged the annoying neighbor a time or two. I wouldn't doubt it. I know she hugged the Schwann's man quite often. I saw it happen. Once, when I lived with her for a time, she even hugged the Pizza Hut delivery kid.
I knew that her hugs were great. There was nothing like hug from Nana. She was so fragile it was like hugging a flower...but it was so powerful at the same time. Now she gone and I'm really missing her hugs. She meant love in every one of them.
I have found though, that a hug from my children does wonders for me. The other day Sarah was just being a terror to her sisters and I knew she needed some discipline. I couldn't bear to be harsh any more that day. So, I went to her and gathered her up in my arms and just hugged her without a word. I hugged her for a long time. I set her down, kissed her forehead and said, "now be a sweet girl to your sisters." She was sweet for the rest of that night. (For those of you who don't know, Sarah is 2 and a half and very strong-willed.)
Right now my girls are sleeping. As soon as they wake up, they will be getting a big hug to greet them. Maybe today will be a hug therapy day. That's sounds all right to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment