Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Becoming a Mother

I became a mother in 1999. I was not the first of my sisters, nor was I the first of my friends. Yesterday my friend, Linda, from high school became a mother. On March 28 Rikki, the youngest of my 4 sisters, had her first baby. Now my circle of sisters and closest friends are all in the same category of mothers. Although we are all at different stages of it, it will be one more thing to draw us closer. I am still waiting for one more cousin and one more friend to join us...hopefully soon!!

There is so much more than sleepless nights, dirty diapers, and potty training to talk about. There is emotional support for those days when you think you just can't do it right. There is someone to call when your little one wants to sing a song. Someone else understands why you let your 3 year old wear whatever she wants, even if it doesn't match.

Gone are the days of deciding which club to go to--replaced by deciding whether to go to McDonald's Playland or Chic-Fil-A.
No more staying out until 3 am with "the girls"--Now I am up until 1 am with my newest baby girl...then up again at 7 for the bigger kids. All spare time is no longer spent shopping at the mall or reading a novel. It is spent doing laundry, shopping at Wal-mart, and reading parenting magazines 10 minutes at a time...oh and cleaning when I can fit it in...which some might say is not often enough.

Even with all of the sacrifices, Motherhood is still better than anything I've ever done before. I have a wonderful support system. Life is good and full. All 5 of us had naps today, which is unusual. Right now I'm watching Hannah and Sarah try to eat apples with the skin still on them. Erin is watching Postcards from Buster on PBS. Lindsey has just learned to scoot herself forward in the walker and is practicing it some more. All four of them are getting along for the moment allowing me this time to blog. We might just have to dance in a while to celebrate something.

It's all good...even the tough stuff!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed!! Motherhood is the toughest job you will ever love! I feel so blessed to have stayed home and be my kids' mom. The material sacrifices are worth it. Now as a grandma the greatest joy in life is when the grandchild says for the first time "I love you" on his/her own instead of in response to my "I love you." Talk about melting in ones shoes....that will do it everytime.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing you have, indeed. I have had the baby bug for the past 5 years but I don't think it's gonna happen for me. And if it doesn't, well, it doesn't. In the meantime, it does my spirit good to hear about mommies who love being mommies. God bless you and your girls.