Monday, June 27, 2005

Happy Anniversary to Us...

Today is 7 years since I married the man formerly known as Calvin. When we met in 1997, I was living in the middle of nowhere, really. It was my first year out on my own and teaching in a very small town. I was limited in my budget, so I opted for internet service rather than cable TV. On my trusty old Performa 5200 I had found Disciple Chat, a Christian chat room which is no longer in existence as I knew it.

I needed some computer help and to my surprise someone in the chat room actually had the same kind of computer! It was this guy named Calvin who had a good sense of humor. He offered to help me with my computer problem, but it would have to be on the phone instead of the chat room. I called (or maybe he did...I can't remember) and the problem was solved in no time at all. We talked for hours, though, about anything we could. The phone calls continued and the phone bills were HUGE! So much for budgeting. I spent more on those phone calls than I would have on cable and the internet AND a plane ticket.

I bought the plane ticket anyway. He was in Houston and his family was a few hours from there. So, I jumped in and met the whole clan and loved them immediately. Long story short...I moved to Houston and got an apartment in the same complex as Marty. After a few ups and downs, we got married in 1998.

Now, four children and about a million unique moments later, we celebrate our anniversary with the Polka Dot Girls. Three of our four daughters have chicken pox...so we won't be going out to a nice dinner anytime soon. Tonight will probably be just like any other for us...and we like it that way.

***
Happy Anniversary, Calvinator!
***

1 comment:

Jody said...

Well, no one seemed freaked out to me except Jessi. If you all were so worried I didn't know about it. Hmm...love is blind AND DEAF!

I think it comforted people knowing that I was going to meet up with Faith there in Houston. In fact, we all met at Marty's house. Then Faith & I (and her family) went to the mall for a few hours while Marty watched the UNC basketball game. So, I knew right away that B-Ball was going to be important.