Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Mother's Love

I've probably mentioned my kids in this blog before... Well, let me talk about them some more. They are my unique and precious gifts from the Lord.

So, why is being a mom so hard?
Why do I let my 4 year old bring out the worst in me almost every day? ...and who taught her to lie down on the floor in a temper tantrum and yell, "YOU MAKE ME DO EVERYTHING!!"

This came recently after I asked her to go upstairs and get her baby sister's sippy cup from the playroom. I interrupted her desire to run outside and play, I suppose, and tripped the angry cord of her heart, resulting in one of the worst displays of temper yet.

Obedience might be the behavior most sought after for a mother from her child. It's at least in the top 5. Love comes easy, but obedience is hard to come by sometimes.

"You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself?"
Romans 2:21

Occasionally, when I correct my children I am reminded of a time when I was a child receiving the same correction. More often, though, I am giving them instruction that I know God is telling me to do at the same time in my own spiritual life.

"If you love you me you will obey my commandments," (John 14:15) takes obedience to a whole new level. I also recently read John 14:21 and Luke 6:46-49 showing me that love IS obedience. That's a tough one for me to explain to my children. Hugs and kisses and nice words and fuzzy feelings are love, right? Not really. Those are emotional responses to love, in simple terms. But, obeying when you don't want to do so is a truer way to love someone.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6

My only hope for teaching my children obedience is to keep at it. I also need to keep being obedient in my own walk with the Lord so that when it comes time for them to see that love is obedience, they will really understand that it's not about me. It's about God and His unfailing love for us. We must be faithful. We must persevere. We must train our children in the way they should go. If we don't, how will they know they are loved?

So, mothers, I encourage you to use the Lord's strength to get through each day. I don't think it is possible to get though motherhood on my own. I'm so thankful for the Word of God and for other moms, young and old, who encourage me every day. Take care of your own walk with your Savior and he will lead in you the way you should go.
Psalm 32:7-8

Psalm 86:11

And when all else fails-- Remember Psalm 46:10,
"Be still, and know that I am God."

2 comments:

oso diablo said...

i'm not a mom, but that was a good post.

Jody said...

You are sweet, Mike. I sometimes forget that there are dads who read my blog, too. I just try to write what's on my heart. Sometimes it's just jabber... once in awhile I make a point.

I was just pondering my next post as a was cleaning out the fridge. Inspiration hits me at the strangest times.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I couldn't ask for a better brother-in-law.